People online confuse shamelessness with strength and authenticity. And the internet rewards it with increased exposure.
Cruelty gets rebranded as “telling it like it is.” Refusing
nuance becomes “standing your ground.” Public humiliation passes for
entertainment. Meanwhile, basic self-awareness is treated like weakness ... which
is unsettling considering civilization more or less depends on people
occasionally feeling embarrassed by and stifling their worst impulses.
I’m not supporting toxic shame or repression. I’m just
suggesting that more attention be paid to the small internal voice that says,
“Maybe don’t turn every selfish thought into content.” That voice used to help
people coexist. Now we train ourselves to ignore it because algorithms prefer
confidence over reflection.
Everything now is performance. Outrage is content. Ignorance
has a Patreon tier. People treat accountability like it’s an attack on
creativity instead of the bare minimum requirement for living among other
humans without turning every interaction into a public crisis.
But the algorithms love it because frictionless vanity
scales beautifully. Thoughtfulness does not. Reflection doesn’t trend. Nobody
goes viral for quietly reconsidering their opinion after reading a book and
taking a walk.
We’ve built machines that reward visibility over wisdom,
then act surprised when culture turns into a nonstop competition to say the
most emotionally charged thing with the least amount of thought behind it.
I still think people are capable of better. I’m just no
longer convinced the internet is particularly interested in helping.

No comments:
Post a Comment