Tuesday, July 25, 2023

And More

I handed him the story and waited.

I could see his eyes moving back and forth. Line by line.

I held my breath.

I was a journalism student. Verne Edwards was my professor.


Verne Edwards (1924-2019)
Verne Edwards (1924-2019)


He was tough yet fair and I was hoping to please him with the news story I had written. And rewritten multiple times with the goal of getting his approval. And to avoid his dreaded "Red F".

Without making a move for his red pen, he looked up from the paper.

“You have everything you need, and more, in the first two paragraphs,” he said.

I slowly released my breath.

“I need you to cut the more.”


_________________________

Another lesson from Verne:





No comments:

Post a Comment

12 Essentials in Every Successful Copywriter’s Toolbox

  Copywriting is the art of persuasion, the science of engagement, and the magic of compelling storytelling rolled into one. To succeed as a...