Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Oxford Comma Defenders Rejoice

Want to defend your use of the Oxford comma?

How ‘bout the fact it could save you millions of dollars?

Scott Frothingham on the Oxford Comma

In 2018, an absent Oxford comma cost a Maine dairy company $5,000,000.

Oakhurst Dairy drivers sued the company, focusing on the lack of a comma after the word "shipment" in the following sentence from Maine's overtime law:

The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of:
(1) Agricultural produce;
(2) Meat and fish products; and
(3) Perishable foods.

The judge reasoned that the law's punctuation made it unclear if "packing for shipping or distribution" is one activity or if "packing for shipping" is separate from "distribution."

The drivers sued for $10-million; the dairy and the drivers settled for $5-million.

The Oxford (or serial) comma is the final comma in a list of 3 or more things. 

For example:

I love my parents, Spiderman, and Wonder Woman.

If you had not included the Oxford comma, the sentence could be interpreted as stating that you love your parents, and your parents are Spiderman and Wonder Woman:

I love my parents, Spiderman and Wonder Woman.

If you are an Oxford comma believer and are writing for a client who is not, consider rewriting the sentence:

I love Spiderman, Wonder Woman and my parents.


========


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Oreo Envy

When we would travel to visit my grandparents, my sister and I would ride in the back seat and my mom would pass us and Oreo cookie the mom...