Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Exclamation Point Taken


Uh-oh. Red ink.

I scoured the page as my journalism professor, Verne Edwards, continued to hand out the graded papers.

I had thought my approach to the story was going to get a glowing response, but it had enough red marks to let me know it hadn't impressed.

The most violent slashes of red were through the exclamation points I had used a few times in the story to emphasize key points.

Verne Edwards (1924-2019)
Verne Edwards (1924-2019)

After class I questioned his obvious displeasure in the exclamation points that I knew were grammatically correct.

His response?

"In my class you're a journalist. In addition to being your teacher, I'm your editor. As your editor, I'm telling you that you can only use an exclamation point if you are actually on fire and want to let me know in writing."


_________________________

Another lesson from Verne:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Oreo Envy

When we would travel to visit my grandparents, my sister and I would ride in the back seat and my mom would pass us and Oreo cookie the mom...