Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Will Artificial Intelligence Replace Writers in 2023?


Will Artificial Intelligence Replace writers in 2023?

About 12 months ago I wrote a blog post with a similar question about 2022. Looking back, not too much has changed, but we have more experience with AI through offerings such as ChatGTP from OpenAI. 

In regards to 2023, I don't know how AI will develop in the long term ... but for the foreseeable future it will need an experienced writer to input the right info for the directions/prompt and then edit/rewrite the output to humanize it and to check facts (AI pulls from the Internet which includes info from unreliable sources).

In other words, AI alone cannot yet be as effective as it needs to be without a properly trained/experienced writer ... it's a tool, not a replacement.

In the words of Paul Smart: "When AI can do subtlety, humour and nuance. In context. I'll hang up my pen. But until then ..."

That being said, don't ignore it.

Learn how to use it.

'Cause it's not going anywhere.

Make sure you're not either.

_________________________

The Test

I prompted a popular AI site to write a blog post based on the keyword: Best Copywriting Books. Here it is. The copy is unedited. The only thing I added was the artwork.

The 10 Best Copywriting Books to Help You Become a Professional Copywriter

The reason I chose this prompt, was that I had recently written a blog post on the same subject and thought it would make an interesting comparison:

17 Books Writers Must Read in 2023

I have some definite opinions about the AI written piece, including that these books are being recommended by an entity that hasn't read them and has no ability to determine if they are actually the most helpful for copywriters. I'll spare you a full breakdown, but ...

The most most concerning observation is how quickly it cranked out a 1,000 word article that would be considered acceptable by many people

This leads me to believe that the internet is about to be overwhelmed with a deluge of underwhelming content.


_________________________


What is ChatGPT Doing ... and Why Does It Work?



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Small Stuff

"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff"   That sign was hung behind the sales manager's desk at a small business I consulted.   When...