Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Career Advice

Career advice for copywriters & content writers
 

Oops. 


I gave the wrong advice.

A new copywriter asked me for career advice.

So I offered some sage wisdom about becoming a better copywriter. 

I felt good about the guidance I had provided, until I heard the response: "I was hoping for career advice. Not advice on how to improve my copywriting." 

Oops.


So, this was my second attempt:


Live your life, not someone else's.

Find a job you enjoy.

Do what you say you'll do.

Venture outside of your comfort zone.

If you need help, ask for it.

Be a lifelong learner.

Embrace failure.

Search for the value in feedback and criticism.

Cultivate perseverance.

Be willing to sacrifice some things to build the career you want.

Don't settle.

Learn to work with people you wouldn't socialize with.

Be a team player.  
 
Realize that planning without executing is a waste of time. 
 
Don’t confuse being busy with being productive. 
 
Understand that your skills are important, but your attitude is critical. 
 
Accept that FOMO kills your ability to focus. 
 
Know that your personal brand can get you into rooms your degree can’t. 

Don’t rely on motivation, discipline is more important.

Understand that habits drive both success and failure, develop good ones 

Don't be afraid to speak up. 

Set realistic goals.

Work harder than those around you.

Let go of perfection.

Don’t be sidetracked by unexpected inconveniences.

See opportunity in chaos. 

Identify and use your strengths.

Be confident, yet humble.

Understand that your job doesn't define you. Your self-identity is about who you are as a person. What you do for work is only a piece of your life.

 

PS When opportunity presents itself, go for it. It might not work out, but maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.








No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Oreo Envy

When we would travel to visit my grandparents, my sister and I would ride in the back seat and my mom would pass us and Oreo cookie the mom...