Monday, May 9, 2022

Of course you can

Client: "I usually write our copy myself..."

I usually write our copy myself, so it’s hard to justify paying you to write it.

All copywriters have heard this at least once.

When I was starting out I would try to massage their ego by replying, "Of course you can write it yourself. But if I do it, you can focus on more profitable activities ... just like you can change the oil in your car but you pay someone else to do it."

Now that I've been around a while, I can recognized this statement as a red flag that my work and recommendations will be undervalued throughout the engagement. So, I say, "Thanks for your time. Good luck with the project," as I head for the nearest exit.





No comments:

Post a Comment

12 Essentials in Every Successful Copywriter’s Toolbox

  Copywriting is the art of persuasion, the science of engagement, and the magic of compelling storytelling rolled into one. To succeed as a...