Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Advice for Writers from Billy Joe

Billy Joe Shaver - Simplicity don't need to be greased.

“Simplicity don’t need to be greased.”


Those are the words of country outlaw singer/songwriter Billy Joe Shaver.

It’s how he responded when hearing his songs described as simple and compelling.


Simplicity don’t need to be greased.
 


Keep that quote in mind while working on your next assignment.


Shaver, the man who Willie Nelson believed "may be the best songwriter alive today," once offered some detail about his straightforward approach:

“I’d like to say as few words as I can and as plain as I can, uncomplicated as I can what I’m gonna say. And that way the dumb ones will get it, like me. And the smart ones will get it easy. So, I’ll keep it there. I know my limitations and I’m into simplicity.”




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Oreo Envy

When we would travel to visit my grandparents, my sister and I would ride in the back seat and my mom would pass us and Oreo cookie the mom...