Sunday, May 30, 2021

Half Full or Half Empty?

“The job interviewer placed half a glass of water on the desk and asked me
if I was an optimist or a pessimist. I drank the water and told him I was a problem solver.”

Friend and business mentor, Steve Seymour, told me this story from the early days of his career.

Ever since I have waited for someone to plunk a glass in front of me and ask the same question.

It hasn’t happened. But I’m ready if it does.

Of course, there are other ways to answer the “Is the glass half full or half empty?” question, including:

  • The glass is actually full … half full of water and half full of air.

  • The glass is 2 times bigger than it needs to be.

  • If you’re applying for a job as an engineer, consider rephrasing the answer above: “The volumetric capacity of the vessel is approximately twice of that which is required to contain the entirety of the liquid.”

  • I don’t care … I’m just grateful to have something to drink.

  • Both. The bottom is half full and the top is half empty.

  • Depends on how thirsty I am.

  • Doesn’t matter. The glass is refillable.

  • Depends. Are you dying from thirst or suffocation? Given the situation, what might be mistaken for nothing, might be more valuable than the water.

  • If you're applying for a job in marketing, ask: "Which is the more effective way to position this with the target audience? Half full or half empty?"

  • If you’re applying for a job in IT support, consider suggesting: “Try emptying the glass and then refilling it.”

  • If you’re applying for a job as a business analyst, try: “Move the air to the bottom and the liquid to the top to make it more accessible.”

  • If you’re applying for a job as a psychologist, consider this response: “The glass’s water part refers to positives in life, such as available options and potentials. The empty part of the glass refers to negatives in life, such as hindrances and limitations. To have a healthy outlook, you must acknowledge both.” Or you could just ask: "How does this glass make you feel?"

  • If you’re applying for a job teaching English literature, ask: "What is the symbolism of the glass not being completely full?"

  • If you’re running for political office, say: "The glass would be emptier if the opposition were in charge." If you’re a member of the opposition suggest: “The glass would be full if we were in charge.”

  • If you're applying for an advanced degree in quantum mechanics, cover the glass with a black cloth and refer to it as "Schrödinger's glass of water."

  • If you're applying for a job as an accountant, suggest: "The glass is 50% in the red."

  • If you're applying for a job as a nutritionist, consider stating: "There isn't enough water for a person's daily needs."

  • If you're applying for a job in sales, respond with "Let's talk a bout the benefits of ice."

  • If you need to stall for time, try: “Hey. That's a nice glass.”


Me? I’m emulating Steve. I’m chugging the water and responding: “I’m a problem solver.” 

I might even slam the empty glass on the desktop for emphasis.


The rest of the story. 

When he told me about this moment from his past, Steve added that, in retrospect, it was a ridiculous question to ask in an interview and, if he were ever asked if he was an optimist or a pessimist that way in a business situation, he'd throw the water on questioner and say, "I'm an asshole."



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Oreo Envy

When we would travel to visit my grandparents, my sister and I would ride in the back seat and my mom would pass us and Oreo cookie the mom...