Monday, March 15, 2021

10 Things I’ve Learned About Advice

Many years ago, my dad taught me that sincerely asking for advice is a sign of intelligence.

Since then, I’ve learned a few other important things about advice:


1. “Can I pick your brain?” is an irritatingly generic way to ask for advice.


2. Don't assume everyone's best advice is your best advice.


3. Staying silent is more effective than providing unsolicited advice.


4. Don’t assume that someone offering you advice is doing so just for your sake.


5. Understand that when you ask for advice, the person you’re asking is expecting you to follow it.


6. Don’t ask for advice simply to gain validation.


7. Make sure the person you seek out for advice has an appropriate level of expertise on the subject.


8. Don’t ask too many people for advice.


9. Be specific about the kind of advice you need.


10. Don’t make the decision for someone. Give them the tools to make their own decision.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Small Stuff

"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff"   That sign was hung behind the sales manager's desk at a small business I consulted.   When...