Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Do you have what it takes to be a writer?

From an offline LinkedIn conversation with an aspiring writer:

Them: “I'm not a writer, it's not my job, and I didn't even take English in high school. And I don't know what the rules of writing are.”

Me: “Not taking English in high school and not knowing  the rules of writing can keep you delightfully unencumbered for true communication.”

The Bottom Line: The rules of grammar and punctuation are important. But the ability to communicate the message in a clear, concise, and compelling way is more important.

We’ve had it educated out of us in grammar school, university, and god help you if you’ve been to a business school. You end up writing in a way no one can understand. – Nick Usborne

When a thought takes one’s breath away, a grammar lesson seems an impertinence. – Thomas W. Higginson

Like authors, creative copywriters have a license to do whatever the hell they want with grammar. They’re well within their rights to spell things wrong if it makes a point, abandon grammar altogether when necessary, and even make the grammar worse for the sake of a catchy line. – Clare Barry

Copywriting is about broad strokes and the linking of strategic and persuasive ideas, not minutia grammar or spelling. – Alexandra Cattoni

When people ask me if I went to film school I tell them, ”No. I went to films.” – Quenton Tarantino


Shameless Plug
If you're a copy or content writer and liked this post,
you'll really like my book: 


Available on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

12 Essentials in Every Successful Copywriter’s Toolbox

  Copywriting is the art of persuasion, the science of engagement, and the magic of compelling storytelling rolled into one. To succeed as a...