Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Technology Isn't the Threat



AI didn't make us lazy. It just handed our laziness a power tool.

But is it removing busywork or removing the work that actually teaches us something?

It's easy to have AI generate 50 ideas instead of wrestling with one on your own. Easier still to ask AI what customers want instead of having a conversation with actual customers. The shortcut feels productive because the output arrives instantly. But output isn't the same thing as understanding.

What can be lost in the process is judgment, which grows slowly, through repetition, dead ends, and the occasional spectacular mistake. Sure, AI can help me move faster, but it can't hand me the instinct that comes from doing the work. Experience has a habit of charging tuition before it hands over wisdom. AI can skip the line, but it can't waive the fee.

The people getting the most from AI don't seem interested in replacing their thinking. They use it the way a good mechanic uses better tools … not to avoid knowing the engine, but to fix it faster.
Technology isn't the threat. Outsourcing curiosity is.

The moment I stop asking why and let the machine answer questions I never bothered to think through, I'm not saving time. I'm giving away the one thing that was mine to begin with: my judgment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Technology Isn't the Threat

AI didn't make us lazy. It just handed our laziness a power tool. But is it removing busywork or removing the work that actually teaches...