Wednesday, February 14, 2024

A Technique for Masterful Co-Presenting

Presentation Tips: Presenting with  a Partner

"I've got the whole presentation memorized. Word-for-word."

Matt was excited.

He and I would be in front of a perspective client in a couple of hours.

It was his first time on a formal two-person multi-media pitch to a potentially important client.

"I've gone through it a million times. I know my part and your part by heart."

Like I said, he was excited.

"Glad you're ready, Matt. I need you to transfer some of that enthusiasm to the folks who'll be on the other side of the conference table."

"I wont let you down, boss."

"Didn't even cross my mind. But I've gotta give you a heads up. Depending on their response, I might not stick one hundred percent to the script."

Matt paled. "Then how will I know when it's my turn to talk?"

"Don't worry about what I'm saying, on script or off script. I might deviate from what we wrote, but I'll always finish my part with the same last line we prepared."

"The last line ..."

"Yes, when you hear me go into the last line of my section, you'll know that when I finish that line it's time for you to step in and cover your section."

"The last line ..."

"Yep. And I'll do the same with you. While you're talking, I know you'll be on point and I'll be reading the room. When you hit your last line, I'll be ready to go. It'll be seamless. The secret is for both of us to be ready to go on the other person's last line."

"So I didn't need to memorize every word. Just my parts and the last lines of your parts."

"Pretty much. Now let's walk through it. I'll yadda-yadda my part ending on the line you're waiting for. While I'm finishing that line, take a breath and relax. When I hit the last word, wait a beat and step up with your part. Be confident. They need our offer. Talk with them. Don't recite, talk. Comfortably. Conversationally. And don't worry about me. Don't even look at me. I'll be there when you're ready for me."

"When I do my last line."

"Exactly."


_________________________


The rest of the story ...

After I posted the above on LinkedIn, Stanley Ezeobele commented: 

“Now you've got me invested in this story Scott. How did the presentation go?”

And I responded: 

"Matt did great, Stanley ... but before we reached the halfway point, I saw enough buying signals to change course and close the deal. On the car ride back to the office, Matt was happy about making the sale but a little disappointed that he didn't get to complete his part of the presentation. He did, however, agree that being prepared was what was important, even if we didn't have to use every tool we brought to the job to get the job done."

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Oreo Envy

When we would travel to visit my grandparents, my sister and I would ride in the back seat and my mom would pass us and Oreo cookie the mom...