Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Red Cons

 As I drag the razor over my stubble, I think about Tommy Perta.

Tommy's dead. Has been for over 30 years.

But I still think about him.

Tom Perta 1973
Tom Perta

In high school, a bunch of us were staying at a friend's house on Cape Cod.

Tommy walked into the bathroom as I was dabbing shaving cream on my face and said, "Mr. Frothingham! Were you never taught to shave properly?"

"Um ..."

"Let me show you."

And he did.

And I still follow his instructions. 

I wish I'd known him better then.

I wish he were around to get to know now. 

I remember him as kind. And funny. And creative. And gentle. And sensitive. A good soul. 

I remember his endearing childlike attitude.

He was a unique individual then and can't imagine him different today. Just older and wiser. I don't think the world could've beaten those qualities into submission.

I'm sure I could learn a lot from him now ... like some of the stuff he taught me then (aside from how to shave properly):

  • Red Converse Chuck Taylors are an appropriate footwear choice for any occasion.

  • If it looks like it could stay in place for a few seconds, put it on your head and assume the world accepts it as a hat.

  • Exaggerated fake shock is always a funny way to react to off-color or controversial statements.

  • If there's a banana in reach, hold it to your face like a phone and say, "Hello?"

These might sound buffoonish, but in Tommy's hands they were delightfully natural and honest. Without pretense. Just his way of letting out his inner child ... and coaxing out other inner children to come out and play. 

Not many people could pull that off.

Tommy did.




No comments:

Post a Comment

12 Essentials in Every Successful Copywriter’s Toolbox

  Copywriting is the art of persuasion, the science of engagement, and the magic of compelling storytelling rolled into one. To succeed as a...