Sunday, April 3, 2022

The more I edit, the better I write.

The more I edit other people's writing, the better my writing becomes.

This struck me when I saw this quote from Eddie Shleyner: “The more I edit, the better I write” about editing his own copy.

Eddie Shleyner
Eddie Shleyner
I agree wholeheartedly.

But, until I thought about it, I hadn't realized how editing other people's writing had impacted my own.

When editing another writer's work, I want to be able to justify the edit to the writer, if necessary. So I think about each edit differently (and in greater depth) than when working on my own writing. I believe this process is positively impacting my writing both in early drafts and during final editing.

Guess it's just "exercising the muscle" in a different way.


________________________


NOTE: In 2021, I was interviewed by Eddie: Micro-Interview: Scott Frothingham, Copywriter




No comments:

Post a Comment

12 Essentials in Every Successful Copywriter’s Toolbox

  Copywriting is the art of persuasion, the science of engagement, and the magic of compelling storytelling rolled into one. To succeed as a...