Sunday, October 3, 2021

Stare Out a Window

Staring out a window - blog post from Scott Frothingham

"Sometimes letting your mind wander is a freeing experience
that unshackles the concepts that were just out of your reach."


Mrs. Donnelly didn't understand this concept when I was 12 and staring out the window during her math class.
 
She made me write, "I will pay attention in class" one hundred times.
 
She had no idea that I was paying attention. Sort of. Processing might be a more accurate description
 
She didn't understand that my mind worked in a different way than she thought was the right way. For her, the only acceptable way.
 
Her punishment failed. She didn't teach me to stop staring out the window.
 
She did teach me a lesson in not respecting people with power until they earned my respect. Which she never did.
 
Back to the quote above.
 
When you're wrestling with piece of copy or content and you just can't get the dots to connect, take a walk, play with your pet, have a snack, read a chapter in a book, watch a video, call a friend, take a drive, listen to some music ...
 
Stare out a window.
 
A relaxed mind can help you take the next step.
 
Or the next leap.
 
Don't worry. Mrs. Donnelly is not there to try to punish you into submission.


____________________

A note to Mrs. Donnelly, who, based on her advanced age when I was 12, has most likely shuffled off her mortal coil: I understand you were a product of your times and teaching all kids differently according to their needs is a tough assignment. Although some of your fellow teachers tried. I hope you would agree with me that maybe technological advances and expanded understanding of how kids learn will help us get there sooner rather than later. And that this would be a good thing. Not an easy thing, but well worth the effort.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Oreo Envy

When we would travel to visit my grandparents, my sister and I would ride in the back seat and my mom would pass us and Oreo cookie the mom...