Monday, November 9, 2020

Earworms Test

Music can evoke memories. 

Not just popular songs, though.

When I think back on the sound track of my youth, a good proportion of that music is jingles from ads.

When shown the words below, I immediately hear the music that accompanied them ... I also associate these words and music with their product or company. If you are an American of a certain age, you can, too.

Can you match the "jingle" in the first column to the product/company in the second (I mixed 'em up)?

            I don't want to grow up                                                State Farm

            Gimme a break,
            gimme a break                                                            Alka Seltzer

            My bologna has a first name                                      Folgers

            Sometimes you feel like a nut                                    Big Red 

            They're magically delicious                                        Oscar Meyer

            Plop, plop, fizz, fizz,
            oh what a relief it is                                                    Toys R Us

            The best part of waking up                                        Lucky Charms

            I'm a big kid now                                                        Coca-Cola

            I'd like to teach the world to sing                                Almond Joy 

            So kiss a little longer,
            hold hands a little longer                                            Huggies

            Like a good neighbor                                                 McDonalds

            You deserve a break today                                        Kit-Kat


How'd you do? Scroll down if you want to test your score.

I didn't want to post a dozen videos, so here are two videos that cover 30 commercial jingles. Some that aren't on the list above, but you'll recognize 'em:


Missing one you're dying to hear? You can probably find it on YouTube.

Speaking of YouTube, that's also where you can find Barry Manilow's VSM (Very Strange Medley). 

Manilow, a pop sensation in the 70's was a prolific jingle writer before he became famous as a singer songwriter with hits like Mandy, I Write the Songs", Can't Smile Without You, and Copa Cabana. He wrote jingles for McDonalds, Band-Aid, State Farm, KFC, Dr. Pepper, and others.

In concerts, he would often play his VSM which was a medley of his most famous commercial jingles.


OK, if you need some help, here are the jingles matched to their products/companies:

I don't want to grow up                                            Toys R Us

Gimme a break, 
gimme a break                                                          Kit Kat

My bologna has a first name                                    Oscar Meyer

Sometimes you feel like a nut                                  Almond Joy

They're magically delicious                                     Lucky Charms

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, 
oh what a relief it is                                                 Alka Seltzer

The best part of waking up                                      Folgers

I'm a big kid now                                                     Huggies

I'd like to teach the world to sing                            Coca-Cola 

So kiss a little longer, 
hold hands a little longer                                         Big Red

Like a good neighbor                                              State Farm

You deserve a break today                                      McDonald's

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Master of Oreo Envy

When we would travel to visit my grandparents, my sister and I would ride in the back seat and my mom would pass us and Oreo cookie the mom...